Egg rolls

These are better than any restaurant egg rolls I have ever had. This recipe makes a lot, so be prepared to spend a couple hours making them. They are definitely worth it though. Depending on how much filling is used per egg roll, it makes 40-50.

Tastes great with sweet and sour sauce, or my homemade sweet chili garlic sauce.



INGREDIENTS:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb pork sausage
2 large carrots
1 large green bell pepper
1 large onion
5 celery stalks
4 cans of bean sprouts
1 can water chestnuts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon ginger
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 packs of large egg roll wrappers

DIRECTIONS:
Brown ground beef and sausage. Let cool.
Chop carrots, bell pepper, onion, celery, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots. (A slap chop works best!) Drain excess juices.
In very large bowl, combine all filling ingredients.
Fill and wrap according to wrapper instructions. (I don't know how much I put on each wrapper, I do what looks good to me). 
Heat deep fryer to 350F. Fry egg rolls until golden brown.

NOTES:
I have used both egg roll wrappers and lumpia wrappers (similar to spring rolls. the picture above is using this kind).  Both work, but I prefer the egg roll wrappers. They are best fresh, but still good reheated. Bake in the oven @350 until filling is hot, or broil for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment